Pregnancy and Yeast infections

Q: My fiancee and I are trying to get pregnant, but most of the time after we have sex, I get a yeast infection a day or two later, I dont want this to continue to happen while we attempt this everytime, is there any way to prevent this from happening and if I have to continue to use the creams they wont hurt any baby that might be developing could they?

A:   You probably need a longer course of treatment with oral antifungal medication for the control of this recurrent yeast infection. Also the preventive treatment may be recommended after the infection has resolved, this may include fluconazole (150 mg orally once per week) or clotrimazole (500 mg vaginal suppositories administered once per week). If your sexual partner also has symptoms of thrush it is important that he also be treated at the same time as you, to prevent you being re-infected. The safety of thrush cream on the developing fetus has not been specifically studied. However, it has been used by a large number of women during pregnancy without any apparant harmful effects, but it is always safe to consult your family doctor if you have been planning to become pregnant and also for an oral treatment for the imfection.