Pregnancy Concern and Emergency Contraception

Q: I think I've had seminal fluid near my vaginal opening and am worried that I might get pregnant. What steps should I take to prevent pregnancy and how will I know when to stop worrying about pregnancy? I'm against abortion and cannot afford to be pregnant.

A:   Seminal fluid when deposited deep enough inside the vagina, at and around the time of your ovulation can lead to a successful pregnancy. In your case it seems unlikely that you may be pregnant provided that there was no penetration or deposition of the semen inside the vagina. You can take an emergency contraceptive pill like the Plan B within 72 hours of unprotected sex to prevent pregnancy. Plan B is available without prescription. In the event that you miss your period this month, take a home pregnancy test to find out the results or you may want to visit your doctor to get a blood pregnancy test done for confirmation.You should be aware of the fact that, barrier or hormonal contraceptives (i.e. condoms or pills) help prevent pregnancy, but are not necessarily 100% effective in doing so. If you decide on starting on birth control pills for regular contraception, make sure to consult your family doctor before doing so.