Pregnancy from sperm on a toilet seat

Patient

Q: Hello,

I know I am not the first one to ask this, but I am really worried. I masturbated and came on a toilet seat which was used the next day by my girlfriend. Is it possible for sperm to stay motile for that long (approx. 10 hours passed)? Also, can sperm stay motile in water? I think that it is possible that there was some water on the toilet seat as well and I've read that sperm need moist environment to survive. Can they survive in such an environment?

Thank you very much.

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. It is not possible for your girlfriend to become impregnated in this manner. When sperm become exposed to the open air, many of them die at first contact. Furthermore,after 10 hours, it is extremely unlikely that sperm will survive in any such surfaces, including the water. You should not be concerned.

Thank you for choosing AskTheDoctor.com