Pregnancy questions

Q: Is it safe to have a glass of wine while pregnant?

A:   Although the negative effects of heavy alcohol consumption during pregnancy are well documented the effects of mild to moderate alcohol consumption is not known. Most research studies do not clearly state how much quantity of alcohol is potentially harmful to the baby. Researchers are also uncertain about the potential effects of drinking alcohol at particular times during the pregnancy to be able to say that any particular time is really safe.
The levels of enzymes responsible for breakdown of alcohol are different in different women. Thus women with lower levels of these enzymes may be more prone to the harmful effects of the same quantity alcohol.
Most wines contain only 12- 15% of alcohol and hence the general consensus amongst obstetricians is to permit only 1 - 2 glasses a week. If avoidable, I would suggest you totally refrain from drinking alcoholic beverages but honestly, it is a decision you shall have to make after taking into account the larger picture.