Pregnancy risk after 3 days of Birth Control.

Patient

Q: I just started taking birth control for the first time and ive only been on it for 3 days. However today i had unprotected sex with my boyfriend, should i be worried?

Doctor

A:   Having unprotected sex after taking oral contraceptives for only 3 days does not protect you against unwanted pregnancies. In Fact, it is always recommended by doctors to use a backup method like condoms for the first 7 days ( I often reccomend 1 month) after starting your contraceptives.
This would increase your chances of pregnancy; however it would mostly depend in which day of your cycle you had sex. Certain days of your cycle are more fertile than others, usually the middle.
I would suggest you to keep taking your contraceptive pills, after this cycle you will be protected. I would consider the use of Plan B to prevent a pregnancy and do a home pregnancy test in approx 14 days.