Pregnancy risk after 3 days of Birth Control.

Patient: I just started taking birth control for the first time and ive only been on it for 3 days. However today i had unprotected sex with my boyfriend, should i be worried?

Doctor: Having unprotected sex after taking oral contraceptives for only 3 days does not protect you against unwanted pregnancie s. In Fact, it is always recommended by doctors to use a backup method like condoms for the first 7 days ( I often reccomend 1 month) after starting your contraceptives.This would increase your chances of pregnancy; however it would mostly depend in which day of your cycle you had sex. Certain days of your cycle are more fertile than others, usually the middle.I would suggest you to keep taking your contraceptive pills, after this cycle you will be protected. I would consider the use of Plan B to prevent a pregnancy and do a home pregnancy test in approx 14 days.