Pregnancy Scare/ Plan B and spermicide used

Q: My period started on Oct 24th. I had sex on Nov 12th. I used a spermicide. The condom came off but he pulled out. I took Plan B today (within 48 hours of sex). I need to know how at risk I am for pregnancy.

Symptoms:  None

A:   I understand that you are worrying for a possible unwanted pregnancy. The timing of intercourse was soon after the fertile period in your case. The fertile period of a woman is determined by analyzing her menstrual cycle with an ovulation calculator or fertility chart. Normally, the menstrual cycle is a 28 day cycle. During the 14th day after a period, the ovum is released. This process is called ovulation and the days 12 to 16 days after a period are said to be a woman’s most fertile period. Plan B is a type of emergency contraception. An emergency pill or ECP is a birth control pill that can prevent pregnancy after an unprotected intercourse. People sometimes call it the "morning after pill." But you don't have to wait until the morning after sex to take it. In fact, Plan B is more effective the sooner you take it. It is a one-dose regimen: you take one pill. The pill contains 1.5 milligrams of levonorgestrel, which is used in lower doses in many birth control pills. However, even though the condom slipped, it is unlikely for you to get pregnant because of the three layers of protection that were still in place; an intercourse beyond the fertile period, a spermicide, and also an Emergency Pill that was taken within the recommended 72 hour window. If you still miss your periods, it is always advisable to get a Home Pregnancy Test done for confirmation. You may also visit your family physician for a consultation.