Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Pregnancy symptoms but negative tests

Pregnancy symptoms but negative tests

Patient: Hello,For the past week, I have been experiencing some unusual symptoms and I am not sure what to make of it. I have had nausea and even ended up vomiting a few times last week, I have also been extremely and unusually tired (as in, way more than usual. So much so that I had to call out of work twice, which is something I NEVER do, not even when sick). I have had headaches every day, which I never get, and I had my period almost a week earlier than usual, except instead of my usual 5 day bleed/2 day discharge period, I had one day of moderate flow, one day light flow, than one day of spotting and I am done. Now, I am having regular white discharge. Also, when I squeeze my nipples, a clear fluid comes out (I was concerned about being pregnant, and someone told me that could be an early sign, so I checked). I have taken 3 pregnancy tests though over the last three days, and all were negative (but all were also taken at night, which I head could affect it). Also, one of my breasts (it’s also the larger of the two, an entire cup size larger) feels really hard/firm and slightly tender, and I look slightly bloated. I have also been very gassy. Lastly, I am not sure if this is related, but I just want to put everything unusual that I have been feeling out there: I also have started to have a mild sore throat as of today. I am just curious as to what this could be, whether I am sick, or should go see a doctor for a blood test, or what else? Thank you!

Symptoms: Short and early period, nausea, vomiting, extreme fatigue, headaches, swollen breasts, nipple discharge, gassy, sore throat, bloating

Doctor: Thank you for your question. Your symptoms may be indicative of the fact that you may be pregnant. It is important that you promptly have your doctor examine you and perform a pregnant test. Another likely cause of your symptoms may also be due to an infection. This can be caused by sexually transmitted disease which actually infect and inflame the uterus and surrounding structures. This would account for the progression of your symptoms. It is imperative that you seek medical attention immediately and have a pelvic exam and pregnancy test performed.Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com