Pregnancy test done too early?

Q: Hello, I am concerned as to whether or not I may be pregnant. I have a 4 year old son and I didnt have many pregnancy symptoms while I carried him. However, my husband and I have been trying to conceive another child and I am having the following symptoms over the past 2-3 weeks: lower back pains, sore breats with constant erect nipples, inability to sleep late nights but almost falling asleep in the evenings, small pimple-like bumps around my nipples, sore lower stomach cramps, have had the feeling that my period is starting for about 2 weeks but nothing until last night when my husband and I had sex, I started spotting and still is but only when I urinate. TMI - But there is nothing in the pads only a few drops but when I urinate I can see not a lot of blood but some. Today I should have started my period but this is definately not my regular flow. Instead it is more pinkish and is way too light to be AF. Nonetheless, I took a pregnancy test this evening but it was negative. Is it possible that I am taking it too soon and that I may in deed be pregnancy? Please advise.. Thanks

A:   It is a possibility that you could be pregnant and a negative pregnancy test could be because you've taken the test early. For accurate results, pregnancy tests should be taken after you have crossed the estimated date of menstruation. I would recommend repeating the test after a week. Alternatively you could see your doctor for a blood pregnancy test which is more accurate and can detect pregnancy earlier. I wish you well, take care.