x
157 Physicians Online

Question:

Pregnancy test done too early?

Hello, I am concerned as to whether or not I may be pregnant. I have a 4 year old son and I didnt have many pregnancy symptoms while I carried him. However, my husband and I have been trying to conceive another child and I am having the following symptoms over the past 2-3 weeks: lower back pains, sore breats with constant erect nipples, inability to sleep late nights but almost falling asleep in the evenings, small pimple-like bumps around my nipples, sore lower stomach cramps, have had the feeling that my period is starting for about 2 weeks but nothing until last night when my husband and I had sex, I started spotting and still is but only when I urinate. TMI - But there is nothing in the pads only a few drops but when I urinate I can see not a lot of blood but some. Today I should have started my period but this is definately not my regular flow. Instead it is more pinkish and is way too light to be AF. Nonetheless, I took a pregnancy test this evening but it was negative. Is it possible that I am taking it too soon and that I may in deed be pregnancy? Please advise.. Thanks

Answer:

It is a possibility that you could be pregnant and a negative pregnancy test could be because you've taken the test early. For accurate results, pregnancy tests should be taken after you have crossed the estimated date of menstruation. I would recommend repeating the test after a week. Alternatively you could see your doctor for a blood pregnancy test which is more accurate and can detect pregnancy earlier. I wish you well, take care.

Have a Question? Ask The Doctor Here.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA