Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Pregnancy Tests One positive and two negatives

Pregnancy Tests One positive and two negatives

Patient: Hi. My girlfriend and I last had sex on October 4th and she was on the pill. Two days later, she had a period which lasted only one day and no periods since. She took a home pregnancy test last friday which turned positive, a second one yesterday which turned negative and third one today which turned out to be negative too. I would like to know if she is pregnant or not as we got on positive test followed by two negative ones.

Symptoms: Some back pain

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for contacting askthedoctor.comI understand your dilemma completely. If she had her periods on Oct 6 th and 2 days after you had sex, and since then she hasn’t had her periods. She is already 3 weeks over due. If her first pregnancy test was positive done a week back but the next two done yesterday and today are negative , then it is difficult to explain. either the brand of the kit is not reliable or the kit has expired.However , the best way to find out would be to get a transvaginal ultrasound done by a physician to rule out of confirm any gestational sac inside the uterus . Also you may opt to do a blood serum hcg test which can detect the hcg levels , which should be notably high if your partner is pregnant.If the pregnancy is ruled out by ultrasound then she may opt for a withdrawal bleed with progesterones in consult with physician to resume her menses.I hope i have answered your query in detail.wishing you good health,regards

Patient: Just a little precision, the first test which turned positive was done two days ago not a week ago and two negative ones were done yesterday and today. As for her periods, it was on October 6th, 2 days following the intercourse but only lasted one day.

Doctor: Thanks for the follow up.
if all three pregnancy tests were done on each day in last 3 days then all the more reason that the kit was unreliable.please get a more sensitive blood serum beta hcg test and a transvaginal ultrasound to confirmatively rule out pregnancy which is a likely possibility in this case as the remaining two preg kits were negative.
i hope i have answered your query.
regards