Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Pregnancy Tips please

Pregnancy Tips please

Patient: Im 9 weeks pregnant and ate tons of canned pineapple! Is it true it can cause a miscarriage I didn’t know before And now im freaking out

Doctor: Hi,Thanks for the query.I understand your concern.In olden days it was thought that intake of pineapple can lea d to miscarriage because of bromelain in it.But there are no proved studies on it.Generally the quantity of bromelain in pineapple will be low and juicing decreases it further.So, possibly this may not affect your pregnancy.Consuming moderate amounts of fresh pineapple juice can provide necessary nutrients to the baby.But if you are having other side effects like acidity, increased bowel movements, raised blood sugar levels etc due to the juice, better to avoid it.Take care.