Pregnancy Ultrasound Fetal Heartbeat

Patient: I am early pregnant. I had a transvaginal ultrasound three weeks ago and found out I was 5 weeks and 2 days pregnant. The ultrasound tech saw and heard the fetus heartbeat on the screen. I went back three weeks later to found the fetus had no heartbeat using the transverse. Now she is saying I am 7 weeks and 5 days. Could this be a miscarriage as they would say or should I wait a couple more weeks.

Symptoms: No symptoms nor pain or bleeding

Doctor: Hi,Thanks for the query.I understand your concern.Usually transvaginal ultrasound can detect the gestational sac with fetal heart beat by five complete weeks of gestation.Sometimes fetal growth can get arrested in the middle and heart beat may disappear due to different causes.So, as heart beat was not able to made out at seven weeks of gestation, the possibility of continuation of pregnancy is less.If you want to be sure, you can wait for one more week and repeat the ultrasound.Then depending on the report, you can plan further management with your doctor’s advice.Take care