Pregnancy with Amenorrhea.

Patient : Can u get pregnant if u havent been on your cycle for a year?
Doctor :   I understand your situation. Since you ask about not having your cycles for a year, I would presume that you had your me nses before. Secondary amenorrhea occurs when you were previously menstruating, but then stopped having periods. If you're sexually active and otherwise healthy, pregnancy is the most likely reason you've missed a period, however you might already noticed some changes by now. There are other common causes that might cause your menses to be absent, if you are taking birth control pills or long term contraceptive methods such as Depo Provera or IUD’s. Low body weight is another common cause as well as excessive exercise and thyroid malfunction might also cause hormonal imbalance that could alter your menses. A common cause of amenorrhea or irregular periods is polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS). This condition causes relatively high and sustained levels of estrogen and androgen, a male hormone, rather than the fluctuating levels seen in the normal menstrual cycle. This results in a decrease in the pituitary hormones that lead to ovulation and menstruation. PCOS is associated with obesity; amenorrhea or abnormal, often heavy, uterine bleeding; acne; and sometimes excess facial hair. If this is the case, I would suggest you to consider an evaluation by a Gynecologist to rule out these or other conditions that might be causing your amenorrhea, usually anovulatory cycles are associated with amenorrhea, meaning that fertility might be compromised as well; this could also be treated once the cause of amenorrhea is dealt with. I wish you the best.

Related Q&A

Q: Hello doc i am not good because i broked up with my girl firend i love her very very much but she ends our relation w...

Q: Hi Doctor; my girlfriend and I have been having sex for the past 3 days, we live in different countries so we hardly ...

Q: I had sex with a guy on the 20th. pulled out and did not cum in me. Had sex with another guy on the 23rd 25 26 27 28....

Q: I have a callus like thing on my right foot (bottom). It's extremely painful to walk. I have been using callus remove...

Q: Hello, first time on this site for me. I have a situation where my boyfriend got drunk for the first time with a neig...


Dr. James Obaji M.D.

  • 247 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

  • 190 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Pat Golden M.D.

  • 169 Reviews
  • Cardiologist

Dr. Kunaal Jindal M.D.

  • 112 Reviews
  • Plastic Surgeon