Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Pregnant 28 weeks with a cold what can she take for cold

Pregnant 28 weeks with a cold what can she take for cold

Patient: Hi I need to know what my fiancee can take for a cold, symptoms are mild fever, sore throat, body aches, she is currently pregnant 28 weeks and has had some stomach pain the past few days

Symptoms: Light cough, mild fever, body aches, sore throat, is currently 28 weeks pregnant and has had stomach pain the past few days and very emotional

Doctor: Hello,At 28 weeks it is safe to take even pregnancy safe antibiotics for severe infections . However with light cough , fever body ache, it appears to be mild coryza and can be treated with conservative treatment as well.She may opt for plain water steam inhalation twice a day and saline warm water gargles thrice a day for atleast 3 days. She may add on an antihistaminic for soreness and irritation in throat like cetrizine and for the bodyache , tab paracetamol can be taken Sos , when required.Secondly the water intake has to be good and she has to keep herself well hydrated to allow early recovery. In case the fever or the cough worsens , then she may be given a course of antibiotics like azithromycin on prescription for 3 days or so to treat infection completely.I hope i have answered your query,wishing her good health,regards