Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Pregnant after tubes being tied

Pregnant after tubes being tied

Patient: I had my tubes tied 8 years ago. My period has always be normal, 29 day cycle and period lasts for 7 days exactly. This month my period started 5 days early and only lasted 2 days. I have had a heavy feeling in my lower abdomen for about 2 weeks. I’ve had several symptoms of being pregnant, appetite change, fatigue, sore/tender breasts, etc. I took a pregnancy test today but was negative. Could I still be pregnant?

Doctor: It is highly unlikely that you could be pregnant after negative pregnancy tests and after having had a period. The failu re rates of tubal ligation surgery are less than 3 in 1000 women and failure cases are mostly reported in the first year after the surgery. Since you have undergone a tubal ligation surgery and have had no pregnancy in the last 8 years, it makes chances of failure that much more improbable.You did the right thing by taking a home pregnancy test when you had pregnancy like symptoms. Pregnancy tests are highly accurate (almost 99 percent) when correctly done so I would recommend that you believe the test results. Pregnancy symptoms are quite vague and can be caused by a number of other conditions. You may get similar symptoms because of anemia, vitamin deficiencies, thyroid disorders etc. If the symptoms persist and you find them distressing please consult with a physician to rule out other medical conditions.