Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Pregnant after tummy tuck

Pregnant after tummy tuck

Patient: I had a tummy tuck 8 months ago and I am now 5 weeks pregnant(unexpectedly), should I expect any complications or differences from my first pregnancy?

Doctor: Abdominoplasty, “Tummy tuck,” involves surgically removing excess skin and fat from the middle and lower part of the abd omen and sometimes tightening the abdominal muscles.Although most plastic surgeons and specialists agree that it is best to have this surgery performed after pregnancy, there are many women who do have pregnancies after tummy tuck surgery without experiencing any problems throughout the whole procedure. The newborn baby’s health is generally not complicated because of abdominoplasty surgery.