Pregnant and flying in the First Trimester

Patient

Q: My girlfriend is due to fly in 2 days, shes 13 weeks pregnant and is worried about flying. Shes scared of flying and worried that her being worried might stress her out and have an affect on the baby. its only a 2 hour flight and is trip she will never get the chance to do again. Is there anything to be worried about this early in the pregnancy? any advice appreciated. Thanks Luke

Doctor

A:   Let me reassure you that she should not worry about pregnancy complications from flying at that gestational age. Flying in early pregnancy is relatively safe. However, during the first trimester, the main concern over flying is making some pregnancy symptoms, like morning sickness worsen.
If she does not have any symptoms and her pregnancy is going well, she should not worry about any probable issue.