Pregnant and think I have flu, what meds can i tak?

Patient

Q: I am 5 weeks pregnant and am suffering from a terrible cold. Last night I started to run a low fever and had some chills and body aches. I wanted to sleep so I took some Tylenol severe Flu and cold. My fever broke and headache went away. But I'm concerned about taking anymore medicine. I Just read that nothing is safe before 12 weeks. I don't even get to meet my OB till 12 weeks. So I don't know what to do.

Symptoms:  Sneezing, stuffed up, head ache, low fever and body aches.
Doctor

A:   Hi,
Tylenol severe Cold & Flu contains acetaminophen, dextromethorphan, guaifenesin and phenylephrine.
Most of its contents belongs to category C drugs in pregnancy, means animal studies have shown few adverse effects on fetus whereas sufficient human studies are lacking.
Whereas Plain acetaminophen belongs to category B drug in pregnancy, means animal studies have failed to demonstrate adverse effects on fetus whereas sufficient human studies are lacking.
So, you can go for plain acetaminophen to control fever and body pains.
Steam inhalation helps in relieving stuffy nose.
If symptoms persists, you may need antibiotics to control the possible infection.
In that case please go to ER or consult your doctor and proceed accordingly.
Take care.