Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Pregnant and took plan B: Would this lead to a bad outcome?

Pregnant and took plan B: Would this lead to a bad outcome?

Patient: Hello. I had unprotected sex with my boyfriend about 2-3 weeks ago, and took a Plan B the next day. I tested today, four days before I’m supposed to get my period (using a pharmacy test) and it came back positive. If I were pregnant, would it be possible there would be complications because I took the plan B? I’ve heard and read that it may cause ectopic pregnancies. I do have abdominal and lower back pain but I work out a lot and of course I read about the symptoms so I might feel things that aren’t there.

Doctor: There is a risk of you being pregnant however I would advice you to test your self for the pregnancy after the missed pe riod just to be sure. There is a slight risk of having complications however there is no eviedence that shows an effect on the fetus. I would advice you to get an ultrasound done immediately once you know for sure that you are pregnant. While the risk of ectopic pregnancy may be higher again there is no /little risk to the fetus. I hope this helps. All the best.