Pregnant and wondering

Q: My daughter is about 5 1/2 months along in her pregnancy and is having bloody noses. Is this something to worry about?

Symptoms:  No

A:   Nosebleeds do tend to occur more often during pregnancy. The pregnancy hormones cause the blood vessels in your nose to expand, also the heart pumps the blood with more pressure causing the small delicate vessels of the nose bed to burst leading to nose bleeds. It is obviously a very uncomfortable feeling but it is usually not something serious.

It is important for you to recognize situations that precipitate a nosebleed such as common cold, sinus infection, allergies, exposure to cold weather etc. Certain medical conditions, such as high blood pressure or a clotting disorder, may cause nosebleeds as well hence it is imperative that you let your doctor know about your frequent nasal bleeding. He or she will then be able to rule out the medical causes and ensure that you are not missing out on the diagnosis of some illness.
Certain simple measures such as applying an ice pack, pressing your nostrils for 10 minutes, tilting your head forwards may also help you tide over these annoying episodes.