Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Pregnant and working in asphalt testing facility

Pregnant and working in asphalt testing facility

Patient: I am just about seven weeks pregnant, and work for a company that does asphalt testing. The lab where the testing is done is actually part of our (very small) building. The smells that come from the lab resemble what it would smell like if one were to hang out next to fresh asphalt being laid. I am concerned that the fumes are harmful to the baby. My appointment with my OBGYN is a week from tomorrow, and was going to ask her then, but maybe I should call her now?

Symptoms: I don’t really have “symptoms” – the odors are just very strong/chemical-smelling.

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for contacting askthedoctor.com for an opinion.In early weeks of pregnancy in the first trimester , any form of chemical exposure be it fumes should be avoided as it can sometimes unnecessary cause uterine contractions and inevitable abortions.Also it may increase nausea and vomiting which may worsen the pregnancy symptoms. Thirdly the chemical deposition asphalt though has not been studied in detail with regards to congenital anomalies , it is better avoided.It is suggested that you may take a break and shift residence temporarily visiting your family or relatives till you enter second trimester or the asphalt work finishes.I hope i have answered your query in detail,wishing you good health,regards