Pregnant during tb medication

Q: I need to know if there is danger to pregnant woman during active tb medication, my wife is now pregnant but she is taking her medication atleast 6 months.

A:   Hi
Thank you for the question,

Tuberculosis or TB is a bacterial infection which most often affects the lungs. However, it can also affect other parts of your body, including the bones and nervous system. TB is curable if it is detected early and if the full course of medicines is taken without interruption. It takes at least six months to kill TB. You may feel better within a few weeks of treatment, but the bacteria will still be alive. So it is very important to complete the full course of medication. Pregnant women should start treatment as soon as TB is detected. This greatly reduces the chances of you becoming ill during pregnancy. Most TB medicines are safe for you and your baby. You may be advised to take vitamin B6 (pyroxidine) supplement while taking your TB medicine to reduce the risk of some side effects. Rarely, your baby may be born with TB. Your baby can catch TB from you at birth only if you have active TB in the lungs and have not begun treatment. Once you’ve been taking medication for two to three weeks, you can no longer infect other people. However, you should still maintain good personal hygiene, and cover your mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze.

I hope this will help you. Have a nice day.