Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Pregnant or signs of illness?

Pregnant or signs of illness?

Patient: It’s been 10 days since I’ve missed my period. I have extreme thirst, Nausea, hot flashes, and fatigue. I took a home pregnancy test but it came out negative. I’m 23 and have never missed a period. Should I test again in a few days, or is there some other health reason for missing my period that I should be concerned about???

Symptoms: Nausea hot flashes fatigue food aversion to eggs bloating dry skin headaches

Doctor: Sometimes repeat pregnancy tests at serial interval may be necessary to confirm or negate pregnancy. Occasional delay in periods is common is stress and following Birth Control Pill or Emergency Contraceptive Pill use. If repeat pregnancy test comes negative again in a few days time, please consult a gynecologist for evaluation and treatment for the delay.