Pregnant with hiccups

Patient

Q: I am 13 weeks pregnant. Are hiccups normal throughout pregnancy or is it a sign that something is wrong

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. The growing fetus during pregnancy may press against your diaphragm irritating the phrenic and vagus nerves which can result in hiccups. This is a very common finding during pregnancy, along with indigestion, nausea and vomiting, as you are probably aware of. This is not a sign of any serious condition. If this is affecting your sleep, or causing you excessive pain please see your doctor.

Thank you for choosing Askthedoctor.com