Pregnant with Pulmonary Embolism

Patient : What is a safe heart rate range for a woman who is 11 weeks pregnant and has pulmonary embolism?
Doctor :   The normal heart rate during pregnancy at rest is between 60 - 100 beats per minute. Although earlier it used to be clai med that a heart rate above 140 beats per minute is unsafe for a pregnant woman, evidence has been contrary to this claim. In cases of pulmonary embolism, there is risk of tachyarrythmias, which means an abnormal and irregular heart rate. From monitoring your health point of view, I would suggest you use your sense of wellbeing as a more accurate marker of your health. If you experience any shortness of breath, palpitations, chest pain, giddiness etc. then I would suggest you seek immediate medical assistance. It would be a good idea to discuss the case jointly with your cardiologist and your midwife or obstetrician. After a thorough physical examination, they will be able to assess your capacity for work and physical exertion more accurately.