Pregnant woman with pain from coughing

Patient : My wife was sick recently, and has been coughing for about three weeks now. She is pregnant, so we have been avoiding medication. Today, she has started feeling pain in her left side, as though she strained a muscle. She is finding it difficult to move from sitting to lying down and vice versa. She still has a cough, which is painful as well. How can I treat the muscle pain, and should we try some kind of medicine to get rid of the cough?
Symptoms:  Coughing, pain in side, nasal congestion
Doctor :   Hello, Thanks for the query. There is no need to avoid all medicines during pregnancy. There are safer medicines whi ch can be taken at even an early pregnancy and will not harm the growing baby. Also, cough during pregnancy, especially long-standing, as in more than 3 weeks definitely needs attention. You will have to take her to a gynecologist and get an examination done. A course of antibiotics, cough suppressant syrups and lozenges, and painkillers for reducing the muscle aches will be prescribed. Try steam inhalations whenever needed to get relief from nose blocks War saline gargles for 3 to 4 times a day after food will help in relieving throat pain and distress due to cough. In case of a lot of congestion, the doctor may advice admission and nebulisation can be given. Make sure there is no fever and a scan for the fetal well being may be needed. Hope this helped. Regards