Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Pregnency after radio imaging

Pregnency after radio imaging

Patient: Hello Doctor,My wife was injucted with a nuclear medicine for thyroid scan, a urine test was done before injucting for pregnency test, The result was negative and we proceeded with scan. the scan was done on 24th March. Later on 2nd April we did a test at home with pregnengancy test kit and the result showed positive. (we had an intercourse on 12th of march – only once in march). we confirmed it with ultra sound.Is it safe to proceed with pregnancy?

Doctor: Hi,Thanks for the query.I understand your concern.Usually during the thyroid scan the possible exposure to nucl ear radiation will be minimal only.But the radioactive iodine etc used during the procedure belongs to category D to X drugs in pregnancy, means there is possibility of fetal risk.So, if the pregnancy is precious to you and you want to continue, regular antenatal checkups and ultrasound examinations are needed to detect any possible anomaly at the earliest, so that management can be planned accordingly.Take care.