November 18, 2018

Prehypertensive

Patient: I have a blood pressure of 137/84 with a heart rate of 86 upon waking. I don’t smoke, I go to the gym for an hour every weekday morning for an hour to weight lift, I am 5’8″ and weigh 172lbs with a body fat percentage of 13%, I don’t drink alcohol, and I keep my diet with high protein, low fat and carbs. This concerns me greatly because during the day my resting heart rate can get as high as 112bpm and my blood pressure can be 147/95. What other things that I am not already doing can I try to get my heart rate and blood pressure down?Also, there is no history of heart disease in my family.Thanks,Chris

Symptoms: Dizziness upon waking lasting four hours.

Doctor: Thank you for your question. We cannot be certain what the cause of your sudden elevations in heart rate and blood could be. There are a number of conditions that can cause this, ranging from anxiety, certain prescription or illicit drugs, or hormonal fluctuations such increase in thyroid hormone. We recommend that you visit your physician and have a complete examination performed to determine the cause of your hypertensive events. You may also be require to have your blood tested for your thyroid function, and an electrocardiogram performed to assist your doctor in determining if you have any cardiovascular arrhythmias that are precipitating these events.Thank you for choosing askthedoctor.com

Was this answer helpful?
Yes
No