Premature baby growth and diet

Patient

Q: I had a baby at 28 weeks.her birth weight is 985 grams. now she is nine months old and weighing only 6 kgs.she looks very active.but there is no sufficient gain of weight.what would be the problem and what type of diet i have to give? she feeds on formula milk

Doctor

A:   Certainly you should take in consideration that your baby may not grow at the same rate as a full-term baby for the first 2 years. Premature babies are usually smaller during this time.
I agree with you that special formula might be necessary for the first year to replenish the iron and vitamins needed. Now is time also to start introducing soft and then solid foods. Regular checkups with the Pediatrician are also recommended to stay on track of his vaccines. I wish you the best.