Premature ejaculation related to anxiety?

Patient

Q: Hi, I am 27 and have a problem with ejaculating to quickly. This has been a problem for years and I would like to figure out a way to last longer not only for my wife but me also. I read that it could be anxiety related and that a guy can take anxiety pills and it will help you last longer. Is this true or what can I about this?

Doctor

A:   Premature ejaculation is usually associated with psychological issues like anxiety, stress and fear. Anti anxiety medication may not be an option for the problem. Instead, you need to make some lifestyle changes that may help deal with the situation, like daily aerobic exercises, walking, jogging, bike riding, swimming etc. Meditation and yoga would definitely help by reducing stress and anxiety. A healthy diet and sound sleep would certainly improve your performance and quality of life. Keeping positive thoughts to enjoy sex and love and trust in your partner are essential for a healthy relationship. If these measures don’t seem to work, you may see your doctor for further evaluation of the cause.