Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Premature menoupause

Premature menoupause

Patient: Iam 43 yrs of age and started peri at age 35 nite swets moody. had a fsh test and results of 50.2 havent had period in 10mnths question is how long should i go without a period before having unprotected sex dont want to get pregnant? thanks you…

Doctor: Menopause is defined as the permanent end of menstruation and fertility, defined as occurring 12 months after your last menstrual period. During this period you will have certain symptoms that characterize the decrease in the hormone production, therefore causing menstrual irregularities.In my opinion since you already have 10 months without menses, having unprotected sex might not cause pregnancy by now. I hope I cleared your doubt.