Prenatal Vitamins and Birth Defects

Patient

Q: If I don't take prenatal vitamins, will my baby be born with birth defects or be deformed?

Doctor

A:   Prenatal vitamins are recommended for an adequate supply of vitamins and minerals to fulfill the nutrient requirements of your body, as well as healthy development of the baby, as your diet may not necessarily meet the demands required during pregnancy.
Folic acid deficiency leads to neural tube and brain development defects, zinc and iron is necessary for the development of the tissues and organs. Also vitamin and mineral supplementation is required to maintain your energy and avoid fatigue and weakness during pregnancy. Thus it is essential to supplement your diet with prenatal vitamins for a healthy development of your baby with no organ anomaly and a healthy you.

Prenatal vitamins are recommended for an adequate supply of vitamins and minerals to fulfill the nutrient requirements of your body, as well as healthy development of the baby, as your diet may not necessarily meet the demands required during pregnancy.