Preoperative Fasting

Patient

Q: I'm having my wisdom teeth removed tomorrow and was told not to eat or drink anything after midnight. Initially I was going to have a small meal around 7 and nothing after, but due to extenuating circumstances I ended up no being able to eat until 11:30. I ate a very small amount of food and about a 1/6 of a bottle of water. I'd rather not mention it since the doctors would most likely postpone the surgery just to be safe, but I also don't want to hide it if there's a significant chance it could cause a problem. Advice?

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. Your last meal was before midnight. Even though this was only 30 minutes before, it is still within the doctor's instructions. You should not encounter any problems. Please mention to your doctor what time you had your last meal prior to surgery. We do not believe that this will cause your surgery to be postponed.

Thank you for choosing AskTheDoctor.com