September 23, 2018

Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Pressure under knee caps

Pressure under knee caps

Patient: I have this weird pressure under my knee caps and i get it about 4 times a week.. mainly when i walk and the pressure dissipates when i sit. but it feels as if my knee caps are going to fly off of my legs.. what could this be? and yes i have patellofemoral syndrome and flat feet but it isnt the same pain and the pressure isnt painful just uncomfortable

Doctor: An important part about the patellofemoral syndrome or  chondrolamalacia patella is the muscular imbalance that increase es the friction between the patella and the lower part of the femur, causing a wearing out of the cartilage located in the back of the patella producing that uncomfortable sensation that you described as a pressure under the kneecaps. You could try the following: taping or bandaging the superior pole of the patella, so that the inferior patella imposes less mass effect on the underlying intra-articular fat pad, or you can wear a soft knee brace that helps to control the patella position  also try to modifying activities that increase the uncomfortable sensation. Stretching the quadriceps and hip flexor muscles may help to lessen some of the downward pressure the patella applies to the intra articular fat pad.