Preterm labor, does my baby have a chance to survive?

Patient

Q: I am 20 weeks into my pregnany and i have ruptured membrane i was sent home after 2 days in the hospital and placed on bed rest does my baby have a chance to survive

Doctor

A:   This is a very tough time for you and I do understand that you are very concerned for your baby's health. Premature rupture of membranes occurs in about 3% of all pregnancies. Preterm premature rupture of membranes leads to an early delivery, usually within a week of rupture. Early rupture of membranes could lead to complications in pregnancy like infection, breathing difficulty, cord compression and fetal death.
Babies that are born before 24 weeks suffer from chronic lung disease, developmental and neurological abnormalities, hydrocephalus, and cerebral palsy. There are a lot of times that a doctor has no control over the events that are occurring, we can only wait and hope for a good outcome.