Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Preventing hair loss and receding hairline

Preventing hair loss and receding hairline

Patient: “Hello, i am a 20 year old and my balding process is taking course. My hairline is reciding at a fast pace. I’m pretty sure its genetic since my father and my older brother have it. But really dont want it, so is there a way to stop and regrow my hair. Thanks

Doctor: Hello,Welcome to ask the doctor,You have male pattern baldness or Androgenetic alopecia. Of course we can stop the h air fall. We have US FDA approved medications like minoxidil 5% solution 1 ml twice a day and finasteride 1mg tablets once a day . Consult a dermatologist for assessment and initiation of treatment. One thing you should realize is this hair loss is in your genes. Whatever treatment you will be on will halt the process. Once treatment is stopped genes will take over. So we need to maintain the treatment on a long term.Hope this helped,Take care and wish you good health.