Preventing the spread of the flu

Patient

Q: Can stomach flu's, viruses, and food posiongs be transmitted by touching or wiping your mouth then a surface if you have not vomited same as the common cold and flu?

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. The bacteria or viruses commonly associated with food poisoning, the common cold, or flue, can indeed be transmitted by the saliva of an infected person coming in contact with surfaces that other persons are in contact with. We to prevent the spread of these infectious agents, we recommend frequent and thorough hand washing with soap and warm water, as well as wiping surfaces you are in contact with down with disinfectant cleaner to insure that infections decrease the risk of transmission.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com