Previous abortion and now trying to get pregnant

Patient

Q: I am 5'1 and 80 kg,last year in April i had missed abortion.I am planning to concive and started folic acid tablets 5mg two month back.Tried to reduce weight but failed to do so.I was always a obese child.Please let me wether this time can i have my baby.I am very afraid to concieve because i think i will have to go through same pain as earlier.what precaution should i take this time.what are chance to have healthy baby.

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your questions. We do empathize with your previous missed abortion. It is important to know that if you have not been diagnosed with any issues of infertility or medical other medical issues affecting your reproductive system, like endometriosis, the chances of conceiving this time are the same as any healthy female your age. It is good that you are taking prenatal vitamins and we recommend that you continue this regimen. We recommend that you consult your general physician with your plans to get pregnant and they will assist you with any further precautions necessary to insure that you conceive and give birth to a healthy child. When you eventually become pregnant, we recommend you maintain a healthy balanced diet, avoid alcohol, illicit drugs, and smoking. Furthermore, you should engage in moderate exercise as tolerated, to maintain a healthy body weight while pregnant.

Thank you for choosing askthedoctor.com