Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Primary Amenorrhea in 19 year old

Primary Amenorrhea in 19 year old

Patient: My 19 year old daughter is an elite gymnast and igh level figure skater and ball room dancer, she is 4 feet 10 inches tall and weighs 90 pounds she has never menstruated should i be concerned?

Doctor: I understand your concern about your daughter’s lack of menstruation. Surely she falls into the diagnosis of Primary Ame menorrhea which is the absence of menstruation buy age 18.Besides pregnancy, there are many other possible explanations for amenorrhea. A sign, not a disease, amenorrhea seldom results from a serious condition. However, not knowing why menstruation has stopped can be stressful, and the time spent waiting for it to recur may feel like a lifetime. But once you and your doctor get to the root of the problem, treatment of the underlying condition often resolves amenorrhea. I suggest you to take her to the Gynecologist for a more detailed evaluation to rule out the cause of her condition, let me reassure you that you should not worry since this is not an uncommon condition and treatments are already established depending on the cause. I wish you the best.