Probably need a dermatologist

Patient

Q: Due to severe enlarged heart and circulation problems, etc., having problems with fingernails. Cardiac physicians are not interested. Nails have eroded back well into the nail bed and the remaining nails have twisted and curled. They are quite painful and the rough edges catch on everything. Is there some way to address this?

Symptoms:  Fingernails have eroded into the nail bed--painful and catch on things to make it worse.
Doctor

Thanks for the query to ATD for an opinion,

As evident from the history that you have been suffering from an enlarged heart and circulation problems indicating the onset of a heart failure which can be due to anaemia or increased systemic resistance. In heart failure, the characteristic nail sign seen are the Beau's lines which are presence of a horizontal ridge combined with a bump on the nail. But as seen in your case that the nails have eroded back to the nail bed and curling has occurred which may indicate hypo- or hyper- thyroid, an iron deficiency, maybe also a B12 deficiency accompanying heart failure.

The nails become brittle and spooning occurs and often get caught in clothes while work. These nails can be cured by curing the underlying deficiencies, even though the present already formed nails may not get repaired but with correction of deficiencies, the nail bed may form fresh nails which can overgrow the old.

It is suggested that you may get yourself evaluated for the above mentioned deficiencies and get treated in connivance of your physician.
I hope I have addressed your concerns in detail,
Wishing you good health,