x
165 Physicians Online

Question:

Problem with a Cyst

In January 2010 I started with pain in my right side, near to my ovary area. I was sent for a scan, which showed nothing obvious. In May to June 2010, I went back to my GP as I was still getting pain on and off, sometimes which is very painful. I was sent for yet another scan and this time, this showed a cyst which was around 3cm in size. I had to return to have a follow-up scan around 2 months later, which showed that the cyst had reduced in seize.The hospital then discharged me.I am still getting pain on and off on my right side. Sometimes it can be really painful to the point where is hurts when I move or bend my right leg up. Does this mean that the cyst keeps coming and going?? Is this normal or should I go back and see my GP?? Thanks very much for your help in advance

Answer:

Certainly I would suggest you to consult your physician for an evaluation and possibly an imaging test, such as ultrasound, to see whether your kidney cyst has enlarged again or to rule out other causes.
If your kidney cyst had changed and caused signs and symptoms again, you may opt to have treatment at this time if this were the case. Your physician would need to confirm this and probably depending on the size, drain it or surgically remove it. An evaluation of your kidney function test might also be needed.

Have a Question? Ask The Doctor Here.

Sign In to join in the conversation.