Problem with clavicle screws, post-op

Q: I had shoulder surgery about 2 months ago where the doctor placed 2 screws in my clavicle, they now cause me a fair amount of discomfort and on occasion a burning sensation. They screws are also raised, higher than directly after the surgery. What could be causing this and is there a treatment

A:   Thank you for your question. These screws could have possibly moved since your shoulder surgery. As a result you are experiencing inflammation, and pain in the area the screws move within the clavicle bone. Unfortunately there is not treatment for this besides returning to your orthopaedic surgeon for a full assessment of your problem. It is probable that the surgeon will be required to surgically correct these possible dislodged screws.

Thank you for choosing