Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Problem with vaginal penetration during sex

Problem with vaginal penetration during sex

Patient: I am 63 years old and have never delivered a baby and have only been intimate with three men, and none in the past eight years. I am curently dating a new guy. Today was the first time we had sex. He couldn’t penetrate my vagina because it was too tight. I never had this problem before. Is there something I can do so that we can have intercourse?

Doctor: The difficulty with penetration may be due to dryness (associated with the reduced sex hormone secretion following menop ause) as well as other normal changes in woman with increasing age including the elasticity of vagina. Taking time with foreplay and use of lubricants may help enjoy sex. You may also see your doctor for topical estrogen applications to help keep the vagina moist.