Problems after shoulder surgery one year ago

Patient

Q: I am 33 yo male, I had anterior shoulder stabilisation on my right shoulder approximately one year ago - following a series of dislocations. Whilst I had no problems in the first 3-4 months following surgery I've noticed a slow deterioration in the joint in recent months, specifically that it feels less stable. not as bad a prior to surgery but similar, and tell-tale scratchy pain and slight muscle tightness indicating, to me atleast, that it's not snug in the socket. I've generally avoided over-loading the joint with the exception of push-up style exercises on occasion which may of iniated the problem. Since I realised I've avoided such things but the problems persist and even appears to be getting slowly worse. My question is what do you think I should do, if anything, as I'm guessing more surgery is unlikely unless It becomes a bigger issue. Would strengthening exercises be able to stabilise it or should it I just continue regardless and hope the issue settles.

Doctor

A:   Sometimes the repeated subluxations or luxations of the shoulder deteriorate severely the capsule and ligaments of the joint, causing chronic pain and instability that may persist after the surgery and some patients may be end up in having another operation to correct the persistent problems. Actually, there are many studies that have shown the increased likelihood of traumatic shoulder arthritis in patients with multiple shoulder dislocations. Yes, of course a Rehabilitation program after surgery is needed to control pain, limitation and regain full function. So, for now try to avoid movements and activities that can potentially cause pain and dislocation and work out to strengthen the muscles of your shoulders.