Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Problems with erection

Problems with erection

Patient: My husband has an erection right up until the time we starts to engage in sex then he loses it. Why is this?

Symptoms: Loss of erection

Doctor: Hello,thanks for contacting askthedoctor.comThe most common reasons for erectile dysfunction is emotional and psy chological stressors or disinterest , lack of libido and sometimes even depression plays a major part. But as he is able to initiate an erection during the foreplay but unable to maintain it hints towards performance anxiety and possible emotional stress. He may try an anti-anxiety drug after consultation with the physician a week or so and evaluate his performance . However if the problem is not rectified then he has to be evaluated further and behavioral therapies may be advise for him thereafter which involve targeted approach to the problem concerned.I hope i have answered your query in detail,wishing you good health,regards