x
Browse
169 Physicians Online

Question:

Prolonged period after stopping the DEPO shot?

Hi, I am 15 years old and sexually active. I recently stopped taking the DEPO (birth controll) shot. Now I have been on my period for a little over a month. Is this normal? What should I do. I have told my mom but she refuses to take me to a doctor.

Answer:

Unless you are bleeding heavily, soaking up pads constantly, you need not worry because your periods and ovulation would need approximately 5 to 6 months to eventually get back to normal. You may sometimes get heavy bleeding or even spottings for varied duration, until your ovulation resumes (which had been arrested by the use of contraception) and you start to have a normal period in amount and duration.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA