Proper avulsion care

Patient: Background: Yesterday, I was handwashing some dishes, didn’t realize that a glass had broken in the sink, and as I was washing, it cut away an appx. 1.5cm by .75 cm section of my index finger near the second knuckle. Went to the ER, they diagnosed it as an abrasion-avulsion. It was wide enough and tight enough that sutures wouldn’t have worked. They cleaned it, applied a relatively thick layer of polysporin (I’m assuming), bandaged, and wrapped it, and gave me a tetanus shot. Instructed me to clean it daily and re-dress it.Question: This morning, just under 24 hours later, when I cleaned the wound, I noticed that it’s still seeping what appears to be blood. Is this normal, or something I should be concerned about? Also, any tips on properly cleaning this wound? This morning, I ran warm water on it, rubbed lightly with antibacterial soap, rinsed well, applied Neosporin, waterproof bandage, tubular gauze. Is that appropriate care?Thanks in advance!

Doctor: Thank you for your question. It is normal for you to experience minor bleeding of this laceration after it has been sutu red. Your current antiseptic protocol is adequate, but we would like you to limit the amount of direct contact you have with the wound. Try to wear gloves and use sterile gauze when cleaning or applying medications to it and also change your dressing on a daily basis.Thank you for consulting

Was this answer helpful?

View all posts