Prostatitis in young adults

Patient

Q: My fiance is 21 years old and was diagnosed with prostatitis yesterday. He has started a two week course of Cipro (bid). I have never heard of men having issues with their prostate gland at such a young age. Is this something to worry about? What could have caused this? Thanks so much for your time!

Doctor

A:   Prostatitis is an inflammation of the prostate, usually caused by an infection. It is not very common which is probably why you’re not familiar with it. Most bacteria that can cause urinary tract infections can cause prostatitis; these are the coliforms (E. Coli, Klebsiella, etc). Acute bacterial prosatitis (which is what your fiancé probably has) is more common in younger men. It is not a prostate gland abnormality, but an infection that causes inflammation, that is why he is being given antibiotics (Ciprofloxacin). His doctor should suggest follow up tests to ensure that the infection has been treated effectively. If he will respond to the antibiotic favourably and follow up tests will be negative, then there is little need to worry since prostatitis has a good prognosis (likelihood of recovery). I do hope this helps and take care always.

Prostatitis is an inflammation of the prostate, usually caused by an infection. It is not very common which is probably why you’re not familiar with it. Most bacteria that can cause urinary tract infections can cause prostatitis; these are the coliforms (E. Coli, Klebsiella, etc). Acute bacterial prosatitis (which is what your fiancé probably has) is more common in younger men. It is not a prostate gland abnormality, but an infection that causes inflammation, that is why he is being given antibiotics (Ciprofloxacin). His doctor should suggest follow up tests to ensure that the infection has been treated effectively. If he will respond to the antibiotic favourably and follow up tests will be negative, then there is little need to worry since prostatitis has a good prognosis (likelihood of recovery). I do hope this helps and take care always.