Protein in urine was 167

Patient

Q: I am a 33 year old female with type 2 diabetes. I just received results of my urine albumin test and it was 167. Is this a dangerous level?

Symptoms:  I went for regular check-up. No problems I was aware of.
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. Albumin in the urine is a measure of the kidney's glomerular filtration rate (GFR). The GFR is a measure of how well blood if filtered through the kidneys. Normal Albumin levels should be below 30. A urine albumin level of 167 could be a warning sign for kidney injury or the development of kidney disease. This level is quite high, and should have been promptly investigated for by your doctor. If this has not been done so already, please return to your doctor with these results to seek further evaluation. You may need to undergo specific testing including ultrasound of the kidneys to determine if you have developed kidney disease.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com