x
Browse
200 Physicians Online

Question:

Pulled calf muscle two days ago

I was playing softball and pulled my left calf muscle. Can not put any weight on it and can not flex my foot in either direction with out lots of pain. Been staying off of it keeping it elevated and using icy hot. Anyting else I could do, anything I should worry about. Been 2 days and not seeing a difference. Since Im a waitress its kinda hard towork.

Answer:

According to your description possibly you may be experiencing a Calf Strain, The calf muscle is made up of three muscles. The two heads of the gastrocnemeius and the soleus, these three muscles end in a common tendon: the Achilles tendon. Usually the complain is  a dull aching pain and in severe cases a sharp intense pain. If you have a partial tear or complete rupture of the calf muscle I recommend you stay away from playing softball  for 4-12 weeks depending on the injury. If you are suffering from inflammation of the muscle then you can resume training after 7-10 days. Ineffective warm up and warm down routines can lead to calf strains. Excessive hill work and a sudden increase in training can cause a calf strain. Calf strains can be caused by dehydration, so make sure that in the future you keep adequately hydrated. Deficiencies in calcium, trace minerals and magnesium can also lead calf strains.  Initial treatment should consist of an ice pack; you can also to use a wet towel that has been in the fridge or the commercially available ice packs for focused pain relief. An anti-inflammatory medication (“Motrin”, “Aleve”) will help to reduce the swelling; this should be taken with the meals. It is recommended complete rest for 5 days for a mild calf strain and then a gradual increase in your activities. Massaging the calf also helps to speed up recovery. View the calf Massager with four free rolling heads it’s particularly good at giving yourself a deep calf massage as tolerated.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA