Pulled muscle in the upper back after moving heavy furniture

Q: I think i have pulled a mussel in my shoulder blade and i feel it in my neck. I had moved some furniture 2 weeks ago and i have felt it ever since. What would you recomind for treatment?

A:    Most likely  you are experiencing an episode of acute lower back pain produced by moving the heavy furniture.Mainly  these  episodes of are caused by damage to the muscles and/or ligaments in the lower back. When the muscles or ligaments in the low back are strained or torn, the area around become inflamed. With inflammation the muscles in the back can spasm and cause both severe lower back pain and difficulty moving. Pain from muscle strains or sprains is often relieved with relative rest, meaning avoiding those activities that produce pain or discomfort along with taking anti inflammatory medication (Motrin, Aleve). Also, ice application and/or heat application may all help alleviate the pain from the strained or sprained muscle.Lower back pain from a muscle strain occurs most frequently from lifting a heavy object, lifting while twisting, or a sudden movement or fall. The pain is usually localized (doesn’t radiate to the leg), and there may be muscle spasms or soreness upon touch. If an episode of low back pain lasts for more than two weeks, the muscles may start to weaken. Since using the muscles hurts, the tendency is to avoid using them. This process leads to disuse atrophy (muscle wasting), and subsequent weakening, which in turn causes more low back pain because the muscles are less able to help hold up the spine.